Thursday 1 February 2007

On Being Anonymous

Once I'd set this anonymous blog up and posted (retrospectively) a few posts, it started to lose its appeal.

It was cathartic, to be able to splurge on a whole load of stuff I hadn't been able to write about previously. But once I'd got it out of my system I didn't feel so bad about it any more, and therefore didn't feel the need to blog it.

Or maybe it's just that old menstrual cycle again...

There are pros and cons to both anonymous and non-anonymous. When you're anonymous you have to censor yourself constantly to make sure you're not giving your identity away. When you're non-anonymous, you have to monitor to guard against writing anything you'd rather certain people didn't read...

The only way to have total free rein seems to be not give a fuck about anybody or anyone, in which case you'd probably not be angstridden enough to want to blog in the first place.

I reckon fiction is the way forward. If I wrote fiction I could bare my soul in great detail, and as long as I bared a few other people's souls along the way, nobody could ever know what was real or what wasn’t. "I have a good imagination" is the perfect get-out clause.

No comments: